The Gulf of Georgia Cannery is located in the fishing village of Steveston, the largest commercial fishing port in Canada. The Cannery was built in 1894 and until 1902, was known as the “Monster Cannery” among more than 15 canneries that occupied cannery row on the Steveston waterfront.
Established in 1986, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society is an independent non-profit society and registered charity responsible for the operation of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site of Canada. Boasting over 300 members, the Society is governed by a board comprised of volunteer directors who bring together a wealth of expertise in community building, British Columbian history, heritage preservation, commercial fishing, business practice, education, and fundraising.
After the Gulf of Georgia Cannery ceased operations, the local community lobbied various levels of government to preserve the Cannery due to its significant contribution to Canadian history. In 1979 it was purchased by the federal government and later transferred to Parks Canada. Development of the site began in the early 1990s and the first phase opened to the public in 1994.
The mission of the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society is to preserve, present, and promote the history of Canada’s West Coast fishing industry.